Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tubes, darn tubes!

Our little Deagan has inherited his father's ears and will be having surgery this next Tuesday (December 15) to have tubes put in his ears. Growing up, Greg suffered from multiple ear infections that resulted in numerous tubes, and it looks like Deagan will be following in his footsteps. Here is a post of his first ear infection at only 3 months old. (In my mind it was 2 months when that happened, but that is why I keep records like this blog to record things I am sure to not remember.) Looking at that post now, it is kind ironic that he will receive his surgery one day shy of 2 years from having his first ear infection. Since that first ear infection, he has had SO many ear infections that we have lost track. It seems that anytime he gets sick he gets an ear infection. They fall hand in hand. The thing that is sad to me about the situation is that his last ear infection that he had (which was at the end of November) he hardly seemed like he was in pain. It makes me feel sad that he seems to have gotten use to the pain or something. :(

Well we took him to an ENT this past Monday, and they were really surprised that he hadn't had tubes earlier because of his history of ear infections. So they arranged for Deagan to have surgery. While I know that this will be a blessing because I can only imagine how painful it is to have ear infection after ear infection, I am still really nervous about the fact that he will ahve to go all the way under to have the procedure done. It will be a really quick surgery, only about 10 minutes, and he really shouldn't be in any pain the same day that it is done. The hospital called me yesterday to go over a few things and to verify insurance and what not, and the nurse I was talking to mentioned that one of us would be able to be with up until he is all the way under. She said though that whoever we chose to be with him must be able to be calm and not freak out or Deagan will freak out. It is obvious that that will have to be Greg.

I am sure all will go well and that I am stressing way beyond what I should, but any prayers on our behalf would be appreciated!

2 comments:

Cori said...

Oh man I am so sorry Degan, but I guess things will be better in the end. I think I would send my husband too. Even with a simple procedure I would cry. Will will pray that all will go well and Degan will feel better very quickly! Love you guys!

Courtney said...

I had the same surgery. I will pray for him. I am sure it will be fine. He is strong and healthy. This will just make it so much better for him. and it will help him hear. That was the biggest benefit for me. i was practically deaf before because each ear infection leaves a little behind but with tubes it can air out completely. It will be okay. let me know if there is anything that i can do!