Saturday, March 12, 2011

Teaching Moment

This morning I had the chance to go to the temple, and Greg watched the boys while I was there.  He was able to get into the Stake Center that is right by the church ad let the play which is always nicer than playing outside when it is cold.

I got done, and met the boys up at the church.  When I got there, it was obviously that things did not go well because Deagan was just getting out of timeout.  Apparently he colored with PERMANENT marker all over the keys of a piano.  I mean ALL OVER! By the time I got there, Greg had gotten about half of the markings off, but I took over to finish it because Greg was clearly at his end.  Poor guy had to deal with this on top of a grumpy 1 year old.  We got off as much of the marker as we could, but you can still faintly tell that there was marking on it.

It was a hard moment because both of us were so mad, and it was hard to really not let our anger get in the way of trying to punish him.  Greg put him in time out, and we had him help us wipe it up until it was all gone.  The thing is is that he knows to not color on things besides paper.  We really don't let him use markers because he has a shady past with coloring all over things with markers, such as himself, chairs, tables, etc.  Where he got the permanent marker this time is beyond us since we clearly do not let him just carry one around.  He had a friend birthday party this afternoon, and part of us just wanted to not let him go.  But I kept thinking about advice I read in all my classes at school; the consequence needs to fit the "crime" to have it be effective.  Since the birthday party was unrelated to the incident, we cut it out of the equation, but still, not a good moment! His end consequence is that he lose his marker privileges for the week, and to be honest I am thinking about just throwing them away because they really are becoming a problem.

A woman in my home ward is a great example to me, and I thought of her today because her philosophy in parenting is that every moment is a teaching moment.  Today was definitely one of those moments.

No comments: