Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene Part 1: Pre-Storm

You would have had to live under a rock to not know that Hurricane Irene swept up the East coast this weekend.  It was probably the only thing on the news this weekend.  It was really hyped up, and at least in our area it did end up being as bad as they expected.  And to be honest, it was a bit of a let down.  I mean, I am totally happy and relieved that no one that I know and love got hurt, but for all the hype this storm got, I was expecting more.

I am going to break down the storm in a few posts. This one is pre-storm; the days leading up to the event.

I heard about Irene possibly making landfall on Wednesday I believe.  The day before we experienced our first earthquake in the DC area, so when I heard that this ginormous storm was coming our way I was nervous! Two major natural disasters in one week is pretty rare!

We started making preparations a few days in advanced because we knew that if we waited until the last minute, we would not be able to get the things that we wanted.  We had a significant amount of food storage already saved up, but we got a few more gallons of water just in case and replaced batteries in flashlights, gassed up both cars, took out some cash, etc.  It felt good to be prepared!

Thursday night was probably the day that I was most nervous about the storm. It was at that point thought to be coming in at a category 3 storm, and was predicted to create a lot of damage in our area.  So I was already stressed about that possibility, and then that night our sky turned a really weird orange color.  For some reason it made me even more nervous!





We debated going to central New York, where we moved from, to stay with some friends to avoid this monster storm, so we made it a matter of prayer. 

We watched the news the next day, and at that point, the intensity had gone down.  As we prayed and watched the news, we felt that we would be safe by staying, so that's what we did! We were going to wait out the storm...

3 comments:

Dawn said...

That orange sky would freak me out too. Do you live on the ground level of your apt complex? I think flooding would have made me the most nervous and ground floor would be the worst. Glad to hear you are all safe and sound though. Can't wait to here the rest of the details.

Rachelle said...

wow, those pictures are crazy! looks like some angry clouds, although soooo beautiful at the same time.

Sister Chelsea Marie Akin said...

I love how you are breaking Hurricane Irene into different parts, and I am excited to read about what came next! And the orange sky does look super creepy!