Backing up a bit since my previous post....
The weekend before Greg got home, I ran a marathon. I never though I would or could do one, but I did. It was so hard but so wonderful. I would do one again. Life is a little different now, and I don't have the help that I did when I was living with my family, so I don't know when I would even train for one, but if I had the chance to do another one, I would do it.
Training for this race was hard and good. Hard in the fact that I had a few set backs with minor injuries, and honestly running 10+ miles is just plain hard. But it was great in the fact that I felt so blessed during my training. So blessed. I felt like my body was physically blessed. I am so grateful for that experience.
The night before I left for Utah, my dad gave me a blessing, and I received so much peace and comfort. I was suppose to run this race for some reason, and the Lord wold help me finish it. I knew that without a doubt. I was so nervous leading up to this blessing, and I felt confident that with the Lord's help I would finish.
I drove to Pocatello on a Thursday to meet up with my sister, Ashley, who was coming to Logan with me. We then went to Utah the next day, and spent the day having fun together. It was a great day!
The next morning, I was up at 3:30 to get ready to catch a shuttle to a park in Logan where they were going to bus us to the top of the canyon. It was a very early morning, but I was running on adrenaline and nerves. As we were going up the canyon, I kept thinking, the only way to get back to town is run back, and that was really nerve wracking! We drove forever it felt, and I had to run that whole way back!
It was freezing at the top; I think in the high 20's, low 30's. I had some warm clothes with me, but they had a place to drop them right before the race started so you could have them at the finish. 10 minutes before the race, I dropped off my clothes, and then waited to start. The race started 10 minutes late, so by the time we actually started running I was FREEZING. My fingers were frozen, and my toes were frozen. I wished I would have brought gloves, but now I know next time to bring gloves, so it was a lesson learned. I didn't warm up until mile 3, but after that I was warm enough.
I had had some issues with my feet a few weeks before my race, so I was nervous going into the race. I felt fine until mile 4, and then my foot started to really hurt. A mile or so later it felt better, but then around mile 13 it hurt again. I was not sure if I should finish the race with how it felt, but I remembered the blessing my dad gave me, and I knew I would be blessed to finish the race, so I prayed for my feet. A short time later, it felt fine again, and I was able to keep going. An answer to prayers!
I felt strong until mile 20, and then I was so done. My quads were hurting so bad, but I knew if I stopped, I wouldn't be able to go again, so I kept putting one foot in front of the other. Around mile 23-24, a pacer for 4:15, came up behind me and was really encouraging and they ultimately helped me to mentally get through those last few miles. At mile 25, my sister popped out of the crowd, and started running with me. I was so emotional when I was saw her. It was just what I needed right then. She was not allowed to finish with me, so she went as far as she could and then I finished on my own. There were so many angels on the course for me that day that helped me finish. I am so grateful for them!
My official time was 4:13. I am happy with that time, but now I have a time I want to beat :) The best part of that day, was seeing 3 of my siblings at the finish line waiting for me. I am so grateful they came to support me! I have the best family.
I am so grateful for the chance I had to run this race. It was an amazing experience. We are capable of so much, and with God's help we can go anything!
No comments:
Post a Comment