Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Can Be Brave and Try New Things!!

That is the new motto at meal times in our house.  Deagan has always been a very picky eater, and meal times have at times been a bit of a struggle.

The other day I watching some Sesame Street videos online with Deagan, and on the side of the screen little tips and tricks were displayed. One of them was to make a chart with 10 spaces, and every time your child ate 3 bites of their dinner they could put a sticker on the chart.  You fill up the chart, and the child gets to decide what is for dinner.  Sounds simple right? I thought so too, 

During dinner last weekend, Deagan was making it clear that he did not want to eat what I had made.  I remembered the tip I had read, grabbed a piece of paper and drew out the chart, taped it next to his seat, and explained the rules with the chart.  He seemed intrigued and preceded to eat ALL of the food I put on his plate, which was a lot more than 3 bites! How awesome is that!?

Every night since then we have talked about getting a sticker, and he has been eating really well! Case in point; I made sloppy joes last night and he ate almost an entire sandwich himself.  Very unDeagan like, but totally great!!

I was so pleased:)

....now how do I get Kayden on board with this?  ;)

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

i love it! but how can i reason with my 2 year old like that? do i have to wait until he's three?

Sister Chelsea Marie Akin said...

That's so cute! I'm so happy that he's finally eating more!