Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Visit From My Mom

A few weeks ago, I made a comment to my dad that I was really missing family, and a few days later my mom called to say she would be coming to visit for a week! 

One thing that I love about my parents and that they are so willing to help their children.  Even though I am out on my own with a family of my own, they still are always so willing to help me.  I love them so much for that!  Living so far from my family is hard.  When we first moved out east I was terribly home sick, but with time I have gotten better.  It doesn't mean that I enjoy living so far from them, but it is just reality; I live 2000+ miles away from them.  Because I live so far, I feel disconnected from my family.  I am not a big fan of talking on the phone. I need a face to face connection.  

I love visiting family though because I feel reconnected with them and it gives me my family dose until the next time I see them. This visit from my mom was just what I needed.  My mom is not only my mom but one of my best friends.  We can laugh and have fun together.  I love that! Having her here brought back memories of my childhood and laughing together with my other siblings.  

My mom was so good to us while she was here too.  She went above and beyond anything that we expected, and we are so grateful for her generosity.  It was so fun to see her with the kids as well.  Deagan adores her, and so does Kayden.  It was funny because when we picked my mom up from the airport, Deagan was grinning from ear to ear and Kayden just stared at her.  He warmed up quickly though:)

A few of the things that we did while she was here:

-Visited the Zoo
-Went to the local children's science museum
-Stopped at a local pasta/bakery that makes the most amazing bread!
-Went to the library
-Celebrated St Patrick's Day by having very festive green food and the traditional Corn Beef and Cabbage meal (so yummy!).  My mom even made green macaroni and cheese for Deagan's school lunch, but that was just too much for him:) He said he only eats orange macaroni and cheese
-Kept my mom up all night every night she was here because of our sick boys...It made her trip seem longer since she hardly slept through any of it ;)
-She watched the boys while they were sleeping so we could go on a date
-Watched lots of March Madness games
-Celebrated Kayden's birthday
-Lots of shopping
-Just enjoyed being together!

My mom is the most amazing woman to me.  She is so patient and so fun! I love being around her because she is always positive.  

The day that she left was the only day that we got pictures together.  How sad is that! We will have to do better next time with that!

The next few photos were our attempt and getting pictures of her with the boys:

Kayden hates to be restrained...his actions do not reflect how he really feels about her:)

And Deagan seems totally unbothered by any of this




Isn't my mom so beautiful!! I was getting beauty tips from her while she was her.  I want her style and her beauty!





Everyone's looking!

He escaped!





Head butting grandma

She really is taller than me; bad angle:)
Thanks for coming to visit mom and for putting up with our sicknesses! We love you!!!

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Your mom is AMAZING! I am so glad I got to meet her! she really is fabulous! She looks like you, but all different coloring. In that last picture, she looks like she could be your sister! I want her beauty tips too! I have a feeling your are going to look that great at her age. It's no wonder where you get your beauty from. Too bad the boys got sick :( I hope they are feeling much better now!

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute to your mom. I always thought all you children looked more like your dad, but seeing those pictures I see how similar you look to your mom. It must just be the coloring you get from your dad.

Brandi said...

Michelle, I am loving your bangs! Looks really cute.
I love having my mom around as well, it's fun seeing little ones get spoiled by grandmas :)

Tom and Miriah said...

You're right, your mom IS beautiful! And so are you :) I miss my family too.