Saturday, December 31, 2011

Looking back on the year...

At the beginning of 2011 I had no idea where we would be at the end of this year, and now that we are here I can hardly believe how much has changed. We have had many ups and downs, and while it would be easy to focus on the downs, I want to remember the ups from this year:

-We survived one of Syracuse's snowiest winters on record! Syracuse winters are dark and a really hard time of year, but we came through it in one piece and now we have bragging rights! :)

-Greg was accepted for an internship with the DIA in Washington, DC! This internship eventually turned into a full time job that has been a huge blessing for our family. Greg works so hard at what he does, and it is so wonderful to see him enjoying what he does.

-We have had the chance to explore the sights that DC has to offer, and I find myself in awe of this area. There is so much history here! While there are many things that I do not prefer about this area, the age and history of this place fascinates me.

-We have made some great friends since moving here. When you live so far from family, friends almost become family and I am grateful for that.

-Greg was offered a chance to deploy to Afghanistan for 6 months this Spring/Summer. It will be a tough time for our family, but it will put us in a place financially where we don't have to stress so much, and that will be a wonderful thing.

-I became a certified personal trainer! I am still in the learning curve process, and I suspect I will be for a while, but it's good. Sometimes I doubt my abilities and knowledge but that's when I have to stop and ask God for help in this endeavor. I want to do something that will allow me to help out a bit financially for our family, so I can't give up even though it's been a challenge. With time I am sure things will get easier.

-We experienced several of Mother Nature's wonders through earthquakes, floods, tornado's, and heat waves. The positive spin I am taking on this is that we now can empathize with others who experience these things. We can be a support to others now!

-We have had the chance to have a couple visitors out here, and that is always so fun. That's a hint for more of you to come!! :)

When I look back on the year, I feel like this has been a real growing year for our family. There has been a lot of growing pains in that process, but we made it through the year. At times, it is so hard to understand why God has chosen to give us the challenges that he has, but those are the times when I have to stop and remember to stop questioning and start learning how to grow from them. I am slowly learning that.

I have so many things I want to change for the new year, as most people do, so I am looking forward to this year! I am looking forward to the chance to become a better daughter of God, a better wife, a better mom, a better daughter, sister, and friend.

Here is to a wonderful 2012!

1 comment:

Cori said...

That's beautiful Michelle. It is amazing how when you actually look back to what happened in 2011 there was so much. Just reading your list made me think "wow" they have been going none stop this year!

I loved that I got to see you and your sweet boys in 2011! I sure hope I get the chance to do it again in 2012!