I was just watching the news when I heard a report of LDS members leaving the church because of the church's stance on Prop 8 and its stance on gay marriage. Supposidely there is a website where you can go to "resign" from the church. There is a member who is working against the church who has started this website and refuses to leave the church because he doesn't want the church to feel they have won. I don't know how to be quiet when the church is attacked for something that I feel so strongly about.
"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan."
The Family: A Proclamation to the World
(Full proclamation can be found at the following link:)
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,FF.html
The family and the church are under attack more then ever right now. For a moment when I was watching this news program, I had a glimpse of what the early saints must have felt as they were constantly being attacked for their faith and beliefs. I realized that as I watched this that there might come in a time in my life when I will have to stand up for my beliefs against popular belief of everyone around me. What will I do when I am in that situation. I hope that my response will be something like this:
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth..."
Romans 1: 16
I have such a strong testimony of this church, and I firmly uphold the family and the church's stance on this issue. I know I might be in the minority, but I can't deny something that I feel so strongly about. I respect those who feel differently, and I just hope that others can return the same favor. We live in a crazy time when right looks wrong and wrong looks right but there is no gray area in the gospel. That is why it is so hard for me to be quiet.
"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan."
The Family: A Proclamation to the World
(Full proclamation can be found at the following link:)
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,FF.html
The family and the church are under attack more then ever right now. For a moment when I was watching this news program, I had a glimpse of what the early saints must have felt as they were constantly being attacked for their faith and beliefs. I realized that as I watched this that there might come in a time in my life when I will have to stand up for my beliefs against popular belief of everyone around me. What will I do when I am in that situation. I hope that my response will be something like this:
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth..."
Romans 1: 16
I have such a strong testimony of this church, and I firmly uphold the family and the church's stance on this issue. I know I might be in the minority, but I can't deny something that I feel so strongly about. I respect those who feel differently, and I just hope that others can return the same favor. We live in a crazy time when right looks wrong and wrong looks right but there is no gray area in the gospel. That is why it is so hard for me to be quiet.
8 comments:
I watched that same thing on the five O'clock local news tonight. i was shocked(but I don't know why because that is the way things are going these days). It is scary to see how easily people will give up their beliefs and go against the church that they have grown up in.
I really appreciate your thoughts on this issue. It has been hard for me to accept everything that is being said about the church and all of the protests, etc. It's funny because these people say they are angry because of persecution, and yet that is exactally what they are doing to us!
People are so stupid. Don't we all know that the church has never supported gay marriage? If they have a problem with it then it's best they do leave.
Thank you for saying it so well Michelle. I am saddened by it all as well. I agree with you that there is no gray area in the gospel. I just wonder how these people ever said that they had a testimony of the gospel. It is either all right or it is completely wrong. You can't pick and choose what you want to or don't want to believe.
First I don't understand why the church is attacked on this issue. Others worked on the Prop 8 issue other than our church.
Secondly I don't know what the big deal is no civil rights are being taken away from these same sex couples. I think it is unfair for those in favor of gay marriage to push that lifestyle on those who don't live that way.
Well said! Now we only have to help the rest of the world see it that way! We can be comforted by the knowledge that the work will go forward through anything Satan throws at the church, and we will return to live with our Heavenly Father!
Michelle, I so appreciate this post. I feel the same way, but you worded it so perfectly. Signs of the times! I have to remind myself that we are the chosen generation! That helps me in times like this. I want to make the Pioneers proud!
Amen SIster!
And while I feel upset, at the same time I am totally thrilled! This is the beginning, this is how things must begin so that the Savior can come. And I guess, because I see this as "the beginning of the end" if you will - then bring it on! I will continue to prepare myself and my kids for the coming of our Savior!!
May we all stick together so that we can stand together when He comes.
Post a Comment