The weather in our area has been really lovely today; almost a high of 80 degrees! Because it has been so nice, the boys and I spend the afternoon in our little back yard that is shared by the complex.
At one point, it was just Deagan right on our back porch because I was doing something in the house. He was just playing on the porch and Kayden was watching him out the back door.
I had my back turned to him for 1-2 minutes, and I had a thought to look out back for him. I turned around and he was gone. At first I didn't think too much of it because there is a long stretch of grass in our back yard, and I figured he has just walked further away from our apartment. He wasn't there either.
I grabbed Kayden and went out back and started calling his name.
No answer.
At this point I am panicking because we live in a busy complex with a lot of crazy drivers that come in and out of this place, and I was thinking the worst; maybe he got hit by a car or something and that is why he is not answering me!
I started running around out complex calling his name with no answer from him.
I finally found him on the other side of our complex; which meant that he had crossed the parking lot all by himself. When I found him, I was so upset and seeing me upset made him cry. I took him inside and we talked about what had happened. Come to find out, he was following a family of ducks. They started walking into the parking lot, and he wanted them to be safe, so he chased them to the other side of the rode. I explained to him that while it was nice of him to think of the safety of the ducks, he put himself in a lot of danger by not going with an adult.
Luckily, this story has a happy ending, but it made me think of all the horror stories I have heard of parent not being able to find their children. It gives me chills just thinking about what could have happened.
It also makes me feel guilty because I had turned my back on him for a very short time when should not have been focusing on the house work, but on him in the back yard.
There are times when I feel pulled in to many directions and I am trying to get too many things done at one time, and while I think I am really good at multi tasking, I am not. This is a big eye opener to me, and I have promised myself to not get too caught up in trying to get stuff done, but to take the time to play with my kids.
2 comments:
Michelle, as mothers, we all have a story or two (or more) of this nature. It's part of life, but yes, it's scary. So glad it all turned out all right.
Don't blame yourself too much - stuff happens.
Reading this brings back memories of my kids as little kids. I certainly know this panicky feeling.
sheesh! i know what you mean! i am glad that everything is alright and that you took the opportunity to teach Deagan.
Post a Comment