Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Some what of an "ah ha" moment...

Lately,  I have been struggling with the thought that I don't really know what I like to do in my free time.  Ever since I had Deagan, a majority of my time and effort has gone into meeting a need of his or spending time with my hubby to let him know I still adore him, but I have not spent much time doing things for myself.  I talked with my mom the other week about this "dilemma" of loosing my identity and forgetting about the things that I use to love to do.  Since my mother is so incredibly wise and always seems to know the right thing to say, she reminded me that I indeed have not lost my identity but instead have added to it.  What a simple but profound statement that was to me.  

Since that conversation with my mother, I have been trying harder to take time for myself.  As a result, I have reminded myself of things that I use to love to do and even found new things that I love to do:

*I absolutely LOVE to read!  My mom gave me this great book to read, and I finished it with in 2 days.  Reading has always been my way of relaxing and getting lost in someone else's problems or triumphs.  My current favorite author to read is Dean Hughes.  I just can't get enough!

*I love to be crafty!  My friend Laura was kind enough to help me with a project (pictures will follow) and she has inspired me to do more crafts. Greg and I also put our efforts together and made some things for our families.  I am excited for you guys to see it!  

*Because my mother is a remarkable women in every way possible, she was kind of enough to give me the ability to learn a new talent; the talent to sew.  For Christmas, she gave me a sewing machine, and I can not wait to use it now!  

My "ah ha" moment came when I realized that instead of being upset about what I am not doing because of some "block" in my life I need to go out of my way to find things that make me happy!  I am incredibly grateful for my mother who helps me to see things in a new light!  Love you mom!

5 comments:

Laura said...

I'm just a stone's throw away! Let me know if you want to hang out again, it's that easy ;)

Dawn said...

I feel the same way at times but I don't even have a kid yet! I always tell myself that I'll figure it out after I graduate, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to start a little early. Thanks Michelle!

Miriah Griffith said...

I know exactly what you mean. Ever since Lucy came into our lives, I define myself as mother and wife, but sometimes I forget to be ME as well. Very insightful, and I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Anonymous said...

What wonderful lessons you are learning. Thanks so much sharing. I know how hard it can be to don't set time for yourself.

The Lovinger's said...

That was a great post. I think I just had an "ah ha" moment while reading it.... thanks Michelle!