Friday, January 29, 2010

RSV

Deagan has been sick all week, and it has been a pretty crummy week for everyone as a result. He started coughing on Sunday and by Tuesday he was sicker than I have seen him. I called the Dr. on Tuesday, and they said that he was probably just getting his two year old molars and to call back on Thursday if he wasn't showing signs of improvement. First off, Deagan has never been the one to get sick because of teeth coming in. He does get fussy, but he doesn't run a fever of 102 for 4 days! Also, I don't believe that nurses should be able to diagnose things over the phone. Maybe you can get enough idea of what the symptoms are to make a general guess, but until you see the patient it seems odd to me to diagnose it and leave it at that.

Well, yesterday he still wasn't acting much better to me, so I called again and got the same "diagnosis." This time I pushed it though because I really felt that it was more than just teething. They finally caved and agreed for him to come in today because they were so busy yesterday.

So we took him in and the nurse felt that he showed all the symptoms of RSV. His breathing is raspy, nothing too serious at this point, but there definably was something going on with him! Even though I am not happy to hear that my poor child has this, it does make me feel better that I wasn't just being paranoid about him being sick.

Fortunately, he is at the age now where it isn't as serious as it would be in an infant. Really at this point all we can do is wait it out. I am just grateful to have some answers after almost no sleep for a week! It has really thrown me off of my routine being home ALL the time. I have been working out at home as best I can, but I can't wait to go back to Y and get back into that routine.

We will continue to keep him isolated for a couple of days, so hopefully by Monday we will be out and about again! Dang winter sicknesses! It is just part of life I guess!

3 comments:

Brandi Allred said...

Poor Deagan! I can't believe they were telling you he was just teething - I would be so mad. Hope he feels better soon.

Linzi said...

RSV is going around here too. My nurse suggested giving the kids warm apple juice to help with the coughing. It's supposed to act like cough syrup and since kids aren't supposed to have cough medicine, this is obviously much safer. She also said to give them a tsp of honey because it helps coat the throat. I hope he feels better! Being sick is no fun :(

Schows said...

Not fun. Poor little Degan, I hate when kids are sick, I'm like you where I can't settle at night worrying about them. RSV is going around here in Rexburg and I'm SO nervous about my three month old getting it. As a result I'm pretty well house bound. Hope Degan gets feeling better soon.