Saturday, December 4, 2010

Patience please!

So thanks to the great advice of many of you wonderful people, potty training is going much better! Thank you! We have just made a rule that we wear underwear, and while there have been some accidents, I think he is understanding it better.  Whoo! It does making going out a lot harder though.  For instance, I really need to go to the grocery store, but I am afraid to take him because I don't know where the nearest bathroom is.  We will figure it out though and soon we will be pros I am sure.

I am having a hard time being patient with it all though, and I know I need to work on that.  I don't know how hard to push him.  There will be times when he is really willing to go and then other times he refuses. That is frustrating to say the least.

I am learning more and more about myself through being a mother, and one of the biggest things is that I don't have patience.  I really struggle, so I constantly pray for patience.  I just never realized that motherhood would be this hard, and I wonder if I am really cut out for this.  I know I am not given more than I can handle, but lately I feel myself being pushed so hard and I don't know how much more I can take.  I don't like feeling this way, and I just wish I was more patient and I guess that I wasn't so hard on myself.

We are surviving though, and we can do this.  I know we can.

2 comments:

Maurine said...

You might try becoming neutral about the situation. Establish the expectation that he wear big boy pants, but don't 'base your happiness' on whether or not he stays dry. Try to be matter-of-fact about his accidents. Just change his clothes and take care of the situation. If he stays dry, so much the better! I heard it described once as 'lowering your anticipations'. You don't lower your expectations...you do expect him to become potty-trained, but you anticipate accidents, so when he is dry, it's that much better!

The Lennons said...

Hang in there! I am probably one of the least patient mom's out there. I am realizing now, though, as my kiddos are getting a little older, we are able to communicate better, and that makes patience come a little easier. I think having two little ones (like you do) is the hardest part! (At least I am hoping!). Now that my 2nd baby is 2 1/2 it seems that they are both leveling out a little and it's not so much trying to teach a brick wall!...of course, somedays are HUGE exceptions! Just remember there is light down the tunnel of raising infants and toddlers. (I'm still reaching for the light myself!)