Tuesday, July 5, 2011

And just like that, June is over!

It is so crazy that June is over! Wow! We have officially lived here for over a month now even though it feels like we just moved here.  Time really needs to slow down!!!

I have a lot on my mind right now, so bare with me as I try to put into words what I am thinking.

----------------------------

I have felt extremely homesick for the Syracuse area and people since we have moved, and I realized I took for granted just how great we had it there.  While I was in the moment of it all, it was easy to see the hard things about being poor grad students, but now that we are out of that I only really remember the good things.  Of course I remember that we had no money, that we had some crazy neighbors, and that it snowed almost 200 inches of snow this past winter.  But those are just memories and experiences that I feel like have really strengthened me. Syracuse became our home and the people there became our family.

When we started our time there, I remember feeling like those 2 years would be so long, but then I blinked and we moved on.

Here is a list of some of the great things and memories of our time in Syracuse:

-Even though we had some crazy neighbors and our apartment was kind of ghetto, we lived in such a great area! We lived by such a great park, pond, and had the best library seriously in our back yard.
-We made some fabulous friends who feel like family to us! I miss them!
-We had a lovely YMCA that was seriously AWESOME! They based your monthly payments on how much you made, and since we made close to NOTHING, we payed hardly anything.  I never realized just how spoiled we were to be able to go to such a great facility with so many great things! It is close to impossible to find something like that out here, but I am still on the hunt!
-Our sweet little Kayden was born in Syracuse.  That right there makes Syracuse one of the greatest places to me.
-We lived in the birthplace of the Church.  We lived just over an hour from Palmyra and all the church history sites out there.  What a blessing it was to live so close to all of those wonderful places.
-We grew so much as a family and as a couple.  Living so far from family really forces you to figure things out on your own!

The list could go on and on.  Syracuse will always hold a special place in my heart along with all the people there.

But home is where your family is, so I am determined to make this new place our home. It already is starting to feel like it, but I think time and experiences will help us grow our roots here.

Here are a few pictures of our life here so far:

We have visited the zoo MANY times! :)



Look how big he is getting! 

Visiting some sights in downtown DC


Celebrating the 4th of July!
Life is good; hard at times, but good.


1 comment:

Rachelle said...

that cake looks great! we miss you guys too!