Thursday, December 2, 2010

False alarm

Well I guess he wasn't ready yet because he REFUSES to go potty on the toilet today.  He said he already did it yesterday as if only going potty for one day will hold us over. Silly boy!

I don't know how hard to push this.  Should I just make it a rule that he wears underwear instead? Or should I just keep waiting until he shows interest again?

Anyone else want to potty train my son?

4 comments:

Tayvia and Family said...

Alec would do that. So we just made the diapers disappear and were really understanding if he had an accident. it took one we and then no accidents.

Tom and Miriah said...

potty training is a beast. With Lucy, things started progressing faster when I started making her wear underwear every day. Just plan on doing lots of laundry. It really did help, though. But each kid is different; so good luck! The biggest thing is to remember to be very patient, and try not to get too mad at them. They're very little, and this won't last long. That's what I try to tell myself, anyway...

Brandi and Brent said...

sounds like Deagan wants to have a lot of control over this situation! In my job, I have potty trained LOTS of kids - starting at age 3. Most of these kids have disabilities so if they can do it, Deagan definitely can! My best advice:
*put him in underwear and no going back to diapers (except a pull-up at night)if you want.
*Have him clean up his accidents - not like it's punishment but more like "oops, since you had an accident you need to go change your own clothes, put the dirty ones in the laundry and wipe up the floor"
*Be super consistent
*Rewards, rewards, rewards!

A lot of parents I know have had success with this book : http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Training-Less-Than-Day/dp/0671693808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291409530&sr=8-1 (I have seriously witnessed a 2 year old potty trained in 1 day with no accidents afterward with this method! Probably not a typical result though, haha!)

If you're going to try the book's method - hold off on anymore potty training until you get it though.

It honestly sounds like he's ready to me! Good luck - I know it's frustrating!

Rachelle said...

whoosh! that is rough. I wish that Deagan was ready, but you are doing an awesome job- potty dance, i like that!